Nov 11, 2008
2004-present Zack Smith PR [zspr]
Sports Public Relations Freelancer
- General sports, sporting goods clients: Callaway Golf, Top-Flite, Wilson Sporting Goods, The Upper Deck Company, DeMarini Sports (aluminum bats), Suunto USA, Nautilus, XTERRA (athletic footwear), Red Mountain Resort (ski, golf).
- Sports team, league clients: Portland Beavers/Portland Timbers/PGE Park, FC Portland Academy, The Portland Baseball Group, the West Coast Collegiate Baseball League.
- Launched Callaway Golf's FT-i driver, Top-Flite's D2 ball; garnered coverage in USA Today, Associated Press, TIME, Reuters and ESPN the Magazine for $250,000 in equivalent ad value.
- Developed unique story angles for Wilson's A2K baseball glove, Nautilus' SelectTech weights. Feature hits: ESPN.com (Wilson) and Scripps-Howard News Service (Nautilus), each reaching more than 2 million readers.
- Secured visual and broadcast mention of Upper Deck All-Star Vinyls on ESPN's PTI, Around the Horn and The Hot List. Got UD's NBA Draft cards featured on SportsCenter.
- PR for Upper Deck events with Tiger Woods, LeBron James, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter. Events covered by AP, USA Today, Brandweek.
- Introduced athletic shoe brand XTERRA at Outdoor Retailer. Product review in Runners World; company features in FORTUNE, on CNN.com.
- Led announcement of Red Mountain Resort's course design partnership with Annika Sorenstam. Stories placed in Bloomberg, AP, ESPN.com, Wall Street Journal.
- Online portfolio: My Work
2000-2003 TaylorMade-adidas Golf Carlsbad, Calif.
Public Relations Manager
- Directed U.S. PR for all three TMaG brands (TaylorMade, adidas Golf, Maxfli), managing the department's seven-figure communications budget.
- Initiated and conducted national PR agency account review; managed day-to-day firm activity, billing.
- Spearheaded crisis communications for TaylorMade's R300 Series driver, which was found non-conforming, and thus illegal to play in the U.S.
- Athlete media training for, among others, Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia.
1996-2000 matthews/mark San Diego
Public Relations Senior Account Executive
- Clients included TaylorMade Golf, Hang Ten (active lifestyle apparel), American Council on Exercise, Maven Laboratories (ReliefBand; partnership with San Diego Chargers).
- Prepared Arnold Palmer for journalist roundtable on behalf of Lamkin Golf Grips.
1994-1996 The Robbins Group Tarzana, Calif.
Public Relations Account Executive
- Clients included: Miller Brewing (AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour), Speedo (1996 Atlanta Olympic Games), Target (in-store athlete procurement, appearances).
1991-1994 USC Athletic Department Los Angeles
Marketing/Sports Information Intern
1990-1994 University of Southern California Los Angeles
- Bachelor's in journalism; minor in sports studies